Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Big Buckle Birthday Card!

Hi everyone,

It's the Blog Hogger again.  Have you noticed that I tend to post in groupings?  I either post a lot . . . or not at all!  lol

Anyway, this time I have my oldest daughter's birthday card to show you.  I have to admit I find it harder to make cards for her since she's not a "pink & fluffy" kinda person.  Therefore, my usual cards are just not right for her.  And although they are the cards I like to make, I really think that a card should reflect the person who is receiving it.

So, here's what she likes: Olive green and the colors of dirt (her words, not mine lol), Dazzling Diamonds, and anything quirky . . . probably 'cause she's quirky!  Well, they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!  (No, no, no!  I mean she's just like her father!  lol)

I've thought long and hard and decided to do a Big Buckle card for her.  That makes it a Big Buckle Birthday card.  Hmmm, say that three times fast!  lol

Here's the outside of the finished card!


I cut a piece of Old Olive cardstock (cs) in half at 5 1/2" and scored at 4 1/4".  Then I cut a 1 1/2" strip from the front of the card.  I used that for the buckle.  (I rounded two of the edges with the Rounded Corner punch but you could also use the edge of a circle punch to do the same thing.)  I scored it at 3 1/2".


Here's the inside of the card.




I used the Party This Way stamp set for the main images, and the On Your Birthday stamp set for the sentiments.  The "happy o'birthday" on the buckle is just quirky enough for my daughter . . . and since our last name is Irish it seemed appropriate.  lol

The inside pieces of Very Vanilla cs were cut at  2 1/2" x 5 1/4" for the left inside piece and at 4" x 5 1/4" for the right side.

Figure out where you want to use the Word Window punch on the front flap before you glue your buckle  piece onto the right side between the Old Olive and Very Vanilla pieces.


I glued a piece of designer paper, cut at 2 1/2" x 5 1/4", to the front flap before I used the Word Window punch.  (Note: If you use anything heavier than designer paper you will need to punch it separately from the cs, so punch it out before you glue it to the front.)

I also added a coordinating piece of designer paper, cut at 1 1/4" x 3 1/4", onto the buckle.

Let's see . . . I also used lots of Dimensionals, Clear Emboss powder, markers and Olive Cosmo Glitter (like Dazzling Diamonds but colored), and Daffodil Delight, Old Olive, Cajun Craze and Chocolate Chip ink.

Oh, and if you hear a loud, agonized moan coming from the area where Kathy is currently camping, it's 'cause  I used a lot of discontinued product for this card!  lol  While the two stamp sets, Rounded Corner punch, designer paper and Olive Cosmo Glitter are no longer available, the concept of the Big Buckle card can be used with any stamp set and product.  Ooooh, that is a lot of discontinued product, isn't it?

And now I think I've just thrown down a challenge . . . to myself!  lol  I'm going to make a Big Buckle card using only current Stampin' Up products . . . and that will be my next posting!  (See, Kathy, I like to make you happy!  lol)

Challenging hugs,
Colleen






   

No comments:

Post a Comment